About the United Way of El Dorado
United Way is about advancing the common good by creating opportunities for a better life for all.
We recruit the people and organizations from all across the community who bring the passion,expertise and resources needed to get things done. We invite you to be a part of the change. You can GIVE, you can ADVOCATE and you can VOLUNTEER. That's what it means to LIVE UNITED.
What makes the United Way unique?
The United Way of El Dorado consists of a far-reaching network of many agencies that assist people in your community - your neighbors, friends, and family. Our time-tested experience in working with local non-profits allows us to raise money for many initiatives simultaneously.
Through the United Way of El Dorado, resources meet needs in an efficient manner to provide help when it's needed most.
Contact us to learn how you can help the United Way of El Dorado meet the needs of those in our area. Be incorporated as a not-for-profit organization, with a constitution and/or by- laws.
How do non-profits benefit from United Way affiliation?
First, our non-profit partners can take advantage of United Way's consolidated fundraising efforts, which give them a dependable source of annual funding and improve their operational efficiency.
Second, their United Way affiliation raises their visibility in the private and public sectors, improving their chances to win grants and other vital financial support. Finally, United Way gives them access to crucial planning resources, such as community needs assessments, so they can determine how their programs can best serve the public.
How do non-profits become affiliated with United Way?
Each year, organizations must apply to be promoted in our campaign, and, in keeping with United Way's high standards of integrity and accountability, must meet strict criteria for approval, including:
- Observe and practice a policy of non-discrimination in all programs and services.
- Have an active governing body.
- Account for its funds according to GAAP and submit an independent audit.
- Prepare an annual report to the public.
- Receive at least 80% or more of its total support from sources other than the federal government.
- Use funds contributed in the campaign for their announced purposes and have administrative costs 25% or less. We allow 35% with justification and plan for lowering costs.
- Have a substantial presence in the geographical area covered by the United Way of El Dorado.
Giving to the United Way
Why give to United Way and not give directly to an individual non-profit?
There are two key reason to give.
First United Way's annual campaign efforts give area non-profits a reliable source of funding. Instead of allocating precious and scarce resources to solicit individual contributions, these organizations can count on United Way to cost-effectively promote and administer a single campaign that raises money for many causes at once. While our non-profit partners may have additional sources of income - such as foundation grants, events, and government assistance - United Way donations provide the crucial funds for their services and programs.
- Second, and more importantly, your United Way gift is an investment in a powerful network of interconnected programs and services. No one non-profit organization stands alone. The value of your donation has a "snowball effect," giving it a system-wide impact. For example, say you gave directly to a women's shelter, which uses that money to provide much-needed food and clothing to its patrons. But what about when a resident of the shelter needs a job? Or a car to get to her job? When you donate to United Way, your contribution also goes to programs that can help her find work, transportation, permanent housing, child care, and more. It takes a system of support to help her get back on her feet. By donating to United Way, you strengthen that system. And by strengthening the system, you strengthen your entire community.
How can I be sure that my donation will be used efficiently and effectively?
We understand that your donation represents more than money - it shows your trust in our organization and our ability to serve the community. Because the value of that trust is priceless, United Way of El Dorado has:
- Committed experienced management at all levels of the organization.
- A volunteer Board of Directors responsible for oversight over the entire organization.
- Code of Conduct, adopted and signed by all staff and volunteers.
- An independent ethics officer.
- Tight financial controls and procedures.
- Tough forensic audit.
- A flat 10% administrative and overhead fee.
- United Way of El Dorado's mission: To mobilize community resources to meet community needs.
Is my gift tax deductable?
Yes; in most cases you must have a receipt for your donation to meet IRS requirements. If you donate to United Way via payroll deduction, keep your pay stubs as your receipts. If you make a one-time donation of $250 or more, you'll receive a tax receipt letter from United Way reflecting the amount of your gift. See your Campaign Coordinator for more details.
How much of my United Way donation goes to programs and services?
United Way has a long tradition as the leader in low-cost community impact - just ask the Better Business Bureau! Our proven consolidated fundraising concept, combined with the generous efforts of our campaign volunteers, helps us maintain low costs and high efficiency. Plus, our new uniform "flat-fee" policy means that just 10 cents on every dollar collected goes to covering the administrative, fundraising, and processing costs associated with our annual campaign. The rest goes directly community services and programs that improve, transform and even save lives. This policy applies to all designated and undesignated donations from all federal, non-federal donors and to all non-profits.